7 Things to Know About Getting Married in Nevada
1. Two unmarried people, regardless of gender, who are at least 18 years of age, may be married in the State of Nevada. NRS 122.025
People who get married in the State of Nevada are eligible to sign a Nevada Premarital Agreement that is governed by the favorable Nevada Uniform Premarital Agreement Act – even if the couple lives in another state!
2. To get a marriage license in Nevada, you must provide proof of your name and age.
You should have government-issued identification with a photo displaying your current likeness (for example, a driver's license, passport, military identification card, resident alien card, etc.)
However, if you appear over the age of 25 to the clerk issuing your marriage license, then no documentation of proof of age is required. NRS 122.040(2)(f)
3. Once you get your license you can get married right away—there is no waiting period after the Nevada county clerk issues your license before you can say “I Do”.
Many other states require a couple to wait several days after the marriage license is issued before they can get married. NRS 122.040
You do not have get blood tests to get married in Nevada.
4. Nevada’s marriage license bureau keeps very late hours for a government agency. In any Nevada county with a population of 100,000 or more, the main office of the county clerk where marriage licenses may be issued must be open to the public for the purpose of issuing marriage licenses from 8 a.m. to 12 a.m. every day including holidays, and it may remain open later or earlier. NRS 122.061
5. Your wedding ceremony must be performed in Nevada by a marriage officiant who is licensed/authorized to perform marriage by the Nevada Secretary of State. NRS 122.062
6. Although Nevada makes it easy to get married, you still need a witness. By law, someone other than the licensed marriage officiant must witness you saying your vows when you get married in Nevada. NRS 122.110
7. Your Nevada marriage license will expire one (1) year from the date it is issued by the Nevada county clerk. NRS 122.040(8)
Copyright 2022 Prenup Pros Doc Prep LLC, all rights reserved.